Prepare a research paper summarizing the field of construction estimating including career options, responsibilities of estimators, and the characteristics of a successful estimator. Analyze the decision to bid or not bid on projects and discuss what factors must be considered. Compare and contrast the different types of estimates (conceptual, preliminary, and detailed). Discuss external factors affecting the estimation of equipment pricing and how they are handled professionally. Explain how a detailed estimate is created for excavation/site work and concrete.
Support the paper with research from the online course material, text, and outside sources if necessary. Properly cite all sources using the APA format.
Some projects are best served by engaging in partnerships. There can be many reasons for partnering, but primarily it is because the need or problem requires the involvement of multiple stakeholders. In some cases, a funder may look at organizational capacity and question whether or not staff has the experience and skills to carry out the project successfully. Other grants, depending on the nature of the RFP description, will specify partnerships. And some projects are simply too complex and wide-ranging to even consider within a single organization.
based on your own project idea (creating a daycare program), consider the potential barriers that could impact the success of your prospective grant partner.
- What barrier(s) could impact the success of your funding partnership?
- How will you work to overcome the barrier?
- What can you do to overcome the barrier and work to strengthen the partnership?
Explore court standards, rules, and regulations and the differences among them for selecting and approving professional witnesses and determining admissibility of expert testimony. Use resources from professional literature and conduct research to support your responses. Professional literature may include relevant textbooks; peer-reviewed journal articles; and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (.edu, .org, and .gov).
Write a 3- to 4-page paper, including the following:
- What standards are used by courts to determine who is an expert witness?
- What standards are used by courts to determine the admissibility of expert testimony?
- What are the differences between standards for sentencing, commitment, and competencies in civil and criminal courts?
In order to find the best information on a topic, not only should you develop a question and search for resources, but you should also know how to analyze the value of the resources that you identify. There are different ways to evaluate resources, such as using the hierarchy of evidence, which you explored in Week 4 of this course. Another way to evaluate resources is to consider the appropriateness of the research design. Understanding how research designs contribute to the quality of a study is essential for being able to analyze resources when conducting a literature review or locating evidence for practice.
In this Discussion, you consider the different research designs and evaluate how these designs have been used to research a specific topic. You also consider strategies for selecting an appropriate research design.
- Review the information in the course texton quantitative research designs. Focus on the information in Box 9.1, “Guidelines for Critiquing Research Designs in Quantitative Studies” located on page 230 of the course text.
- Select a topic from the list below and search the Walden Library to find two different quantitative research studies addressing that issue:
- Caregiver stress
- Anxiety in children
- Sleep apnea
- Depression in college freshmen
- Rural health care issues
- Post-traumatic stress syndrome
- Traumatic brain injury in veterans
- Health effects of environmental contaminants
- Bipolar disorder
- End-of-life ethical issues
- Alternative medicine
- For each of the sources that you select, identify the type of quantitative research design used, and evaluate whether it is the most appropriate approach to the research
- Consider the ramifications of choosing an inappropriate design for a research study.
Using your text book, the AUO library and the Internet, research Panera Bread Company.
You have been hired by Panera Bread Company as a consultant to assess their internal and external environments in relation to their current competitive strategy. You are scheduled to meet executives at Panera Bread this week to discuss your assessment and recommendations. In preparation for your meeting, discuss the following in 2-3 pages:
- Prepare a SWOT analysis of Panera Bread and discuss what your analysis revealed about the overall attractiveness of the company’s situation.
- Does the company possess core competencies or distinctive competencies? Support your response with examples.
- What recommendations will you provide to the executives regarding the actions Panera Bread needs to take to strengthen its competitive position?
Gender, as a term and a social concept, has taken many different forms and meanings over time. Your personal experience and expression of gender may be reflective of your generation and the sociopolitical landscape during the influential development stages of your life.
This assignment will allow you to expand your knowledge base and support your acquisition of various expressions and experiences related to gender.
Select a person from a different generation than yourself. Schedule a thirty-minute interview with that person.
Using the module readings, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research the evolution of the concept of gender over generations. Select at least two scholarly, peer-reviewed resources for use in this assignment.
During the interview, ask the following questions:
- What does the term gender mean to you? How does it differ from sex?
- How has gender played a part in the understanding of your role and responsibilities at home and at work?
- How was gender conceived of when you were a teenager and what differences do you see in today’s youth regarding gender roles?
- How was gender discussed in your household when growing up? If you have children, how have you communicated gender to them?
- In your estimation, what has been the greatest accomplishment for your gender in achieving equality or equal footing regarding career and family advancement?
During your interview, be aware that the person’s responses could be reactions to the advancements of the opposite gender and the impact he or she experienced. An example would be men’s experiences of child rearing as more mothers enter and excel in corporate environments.
Complete the following:
- Analyze the person’s ability to communicate about gender issues and the role gender has played in his or her life as a member of society.
- Compare and contrast the person’s views on gender with those of your generation. Explain the reasons for the differences.
- Integrate the interview responses throughout your narrative as necessary by summarizing them and utilizing quotes.
In your analysis, be sure to integrate ideas and concepts from your independent research as well as the module readings with your findings from the interview.
Write a 3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to the formatting of your paper and the citation of sources. Remember to include a cover page and reference page in APA format.
Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese technique for curing various chronic pains. It has also been used as anesthesia for surgery and for curing postoperative nausea.
Using South University Online Library, search the article, “A randomized trial comparing acupuncture, simulated acupuncture, and usual care for chronic low back pain.”
On the basis of your research and understanding of the topic, summarize your thoughts and answer to the following questions:
- The study concludes that both real acupuncture and sham acupuncture are more effective than usual care for chronic back pain. This could be due to either the physiological stimulus provided by acupuncture needling or certain nonspecific effects, such as the therapist’s conviction and the patient’s enthusiasm for the treatment. Do you think that this study supports a combined model of treatment where both physical and psychological stimuli are used to cure chronic back pain? Why or why not?
- What are the shortcomings of this study? Would conducting more studies, such as the current investigation, add to your understanding and the efficacy of acupuncture for chronic back pain?
- Even in the absence of support for acupuncture, how does this article contribute to the study of CAM and our understanding of CAM research practices?
- What is your opinion on the modality discussed in the article? Do you see any outstanding benefits or detractions from the therapy’s use in contemporary wellness environments?
Combine your responses in a Microsoft Word document. Your responses should be 4- to 5-pages long.
Support your responses with reasoning and examples.
Cite any sources in APA format.
In a minimum of 300 words, respond to the following:
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of current risk assessment practices? When writing your response, focus on tests designed to assess risk and dangerousness.
- How can you utilize or build upon the strengths of current risk assessment practices in forensic psychology? How can you account for the weaknesses of current risk assessment practices in forensic psychology? Provide examples and rationales.
- Which term do you prefer, “prediction of risk” or “assessment of risk”? State your reasons for your opinion.
A curriculum guide is a packet of practical ideas for teaching that is written in a convenient format as practical teaching notes for use by either you or your colleagues. It is a how-to guide that covers steps for achieving specific objectives, principles governing behavior, or descriptions of effective teaching strategies, interventions, and accommodations that a special educator can use in the classroom. Curriculum guides might include the title of the strategy or principle, explanation of its educational purpose (goal or objective), task analysis of teacher and student activities, and student assessment procedures.
Create curriculum guides for teaching reading, writing, spelling, and mathematics as a reference, in a format that will provide you and your professional colleagues with practical information necessary for effective teaching of students with ID. Ensure the curriculum guide is sufficiently accurate, thorough, and clear so the reader can implement the strategies. The guide should be usable by any of the teachers in the student’s school.
Each strategy should be referenced. There should be a minimum of three references for each subject.
Information is data that is framed in a specific context. In this sense, information is contextual data that has a level of inherent value. Data might be the binary 0s and 1s on a hard drive, but information is the combination of that binary data into a document, media file, or database. Therefore, information systems are methods of managing the value of different types of data. The value of the data might be in the personal records such as social security number, addresses, or shopping habits that are linked together to form an online shopping cart and on-click purchasing. The value of information provides for the potential for ethical, social, and political issues within an organization. An example of these ethical, social, and political issues can be found in the concept of privacy.
Using the module readings and the Argosy University online library resources, research the ethical, social, and political issues within an organization, and explain each of the issues.
Respond to the following:
- What ethical, social, and political issues arise with the use of information systems?
- Which of these identified issues can have the most adverse effect on an organization if not managed properly?
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
You have just been promoted to the Human Resources Department of a Fortune 500 company. Your director calls you into a meeting and explains that in hiring a prospective employee, there are legitimate reasons for not hiring someone. For example, the prospective employee may not fill legal requirements (i.e., he or she is a minor and cannot complete the tasks of the job based on the young age) or positional requirements (i.e., he or she does not have the required experience or education for the position and the employer demonstrates this requirement as a business necessity).
Neither of these examples are discrimination. However, Title VII provides five protected classes which cannot be discriminated against. For review of the protected classes, see page IV of this week’s module. However, Title VII only applies to companies with 15 or more employees.
Further, the bona fide occupational qualification (“BFOQ”) can be argued as a reason for discrimination by the employer, even of the protected classes. Importantly, though, race and color (two of the five protected classes under Title VII) are not on the list of permissible BFOQs.
Your director asks you to draft a memo with the following information:
- Using the internet, research a case where an individual claimed discrimination either in his or her hiring or firing, and the employer argued a permissible BFOQ was the reason behind the failure to hire or behind the firing.
- Identify and clearly define the relevant law utilized by the court in determining the outcome of the case. This includes defining applicable legal doctrine, provisions of a law, or elements of a specific cause of action.
- Apply facts from the researched situation to the applicable law, doctrine, or cause of action researched.
When creating a budget for an organization, it is important to consider several outputs, which depend on the perspectives of the individuals developing the budget. There are certain best practices to keep in mind when developing budgets.
Using the module readings, Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research the value of budgeting as well as methods used to motivate all departments or units of an organization to define budgets.
Based on your research, respond to the following:
- What is the purpose of developing a budget?
- Is the budget a planning document, a control document, or both?
- What are some of the phases of developing a budget?
- Are there different budgeting models?
- What are factors that could cause variances in a budget?
- How should management address variances in a budget?
- How could management facilitate a participatory approach to budget development?
- How might the budgeting process differ between for-profit (FP) and not-for-profit (NFP) hospitals?
- Contributions are an integral part of an NFP meeting budget. How appropriate is it for an NFP hospital to budget expected contributions?
- Many states have a charities bureau that monitors charitable activities including NFP hospitals. Review the site for your state and comment on this agency as it relates to the budget process. For an example, review the following link for the charities bureau for New York State.
Give reasons to support your statements.
Write a 750-1,000-word analysis on social stratification regarding race
Choose a social institution to describe and analyze the effect that the stratification elements of race have on that social institution. Include the following in your analysis:
- Explain how race impacts the social institution.
- Identify a form of race inequality associated with the social institution and use theoretical perspectives to explain the social behaviors that perpetuate the inequality.
- Suggest measures for the social institution to implement to help alleviate the racial inequality you identified.
Provide a minimum of three to five scholarly sources to support your analysis and conclusion. Additionally, you will need to include statistical data of the expression of stratification regarding Race within the social institution.
Over the past six weeks, you have considered the environmental and teacher interaction effects on a child’s ability to learn during play. Your text presents two methods of classifying the developmental stages of play. One is from Piaget’s theory and includes functional level play, constructive play, dramatic play, and games with rules. The other classification is based on Parten’s theory and includes solitary play, parallel play, associative play, and cooperative play.
For this Assignment, write an informative essay based on the video, Playing with Blocks, that evaluates play episodes of four children with varying levels of developmental skills. Support your evaluation with citations from at least three of your sources included in your reference list. Observe each of the boys playing in the block area and describe the following:
- What levels of play did you observe from the “Ted” in the striped shirt; “Adam” in the Celtic shirt; “Eli” in the white shirt; and “Ben” in the gray shirt? Include also the other individual developmental skills you noticed in each child in the areas of cognitive, social-emotional, physical, and language.
- How was the environment or area set up to encourage play? What could you do to the environment to help facilitate enhanced play skills and other developmental skills?
- As an early childhood professional, what could you have done in this classroom to help extend this child-directed activity? How could you have intervened to help promote a higher level of play and other skills for each child?
- Describe any observed activities from the video that do or do not align with best practices.
Your paper should be 3-4 pages long, doubled-spaced, in a 12-point font size (Arial or Times New Roman) with one-inch margins, written in Standard American English, and APA format for citations and references. You must include a title page and a reference page (but these do not count in the 3-4 page guidelines). Finally, your essay should include a strong introduction and conclusion which connects your evaluation of the play episode with blocks to both Piaget and Parten’s theories of play.
Communicating ethically to employees as well as other internal and external stakeholders is of the utmost importance for leaders and managers. Being able to build and maintain trust in order to be credible is essential.
Using the module readings, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research ways of developing trust.
Respond to the following:
- Explain how leaders and managers can overcome obstacles and develop trust in communicating corporate ethics.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
In this reflective writing exercise you will analyze yourself with regard to the stage of development at which you are today as a critical thinker and your strengths and challenges in the matter of becoming a critical thinker with advanced reasoning skills.
As you internalize critical thinking concepts, models, and theories, what do you want to understand about being a fair-minded critical thinker when you leave this class that you can use in the “real world”?
Using the concepts learned through the readings and lecture pages, write a self-reflection essay that answers the following:
- What does critical thinking mean to you? Describe the role that critical thinking plays in your life today. Explain and offer examples of how you might further apply critical thinking in your life.
- What does this course have to do with good thinking in general or with your particular beliefs?
- Define and explain a point of view or primary value you sometimes rely on to guide your thinking. Briefly describe how you personally analyze and assess thinking.
- List three inferences you have made in the past. Is it possible to separate emotions from issues that are heavily based on belief systems such as religious beliefs?
- In this self-reflective assignment, you need to back up your ideas and claims with scholarly sources. Keep in mind that critical reasoning and thinking skills are not the same as opinions. While it is acceptable to write in the first person, as needed for this assignment, be sure to support your ideas with valid, reputable, and scholarly articles.
- Include at least 1-2 scholarly sources that are not required or recommended readings for this course. The CSU-Global Library is a good place to find these sources.
Your paper should be 4-5 pages in length, well written, and formatted according to the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements. Review the grading rubric for this assignment, which can be accessed from the Module 2 folder, to understand exactly how you will be graded. Be sure to reach out to your instructor if you have questions about the assignment.
Purpose of Assignment
For this assignment, the student will identify and interview someone they know who is in a management role. This allows the student to integrate the experience of real world managers with their own insights into planning and strategy. The assignment also reinforces the importance of contingency planning.
Interview someone you know who is in a management role. This can be at your current place of employment or someone you know personally working in a managerial role.
Prepare a 1,050-word discussion of the interview:
- Discuss what you discovered about contingency planning.
- Discuss how creativity and critical thinking relate to contingency planning.
- Explain how you might integrate creativity into your own planning process.
- Discuss what you learned about creativity and its relationship to the decision-making process.
- Identify the key steps that might require a contingency plan.
Format the assignment consistent with APA guidelines.
There is great controversy over whether a patient will be able to retain or choose his or her doctors with the advent of the PPACA. In addition, many existing plans are being ruled as incompatible with the requirements of the PPACA and discontinued or canceled as a result. Explore and explain whether the patients will be able to continue with their physicians and the rationale behind the plan cancelation. Additionally, identify the effect of expanding state Medicaid roles and the impact it has upon cost and non-reimbursable care.
Assess how branding has increased in the last few decades. Think of a brand; analyze how the organization developed its brand equity. Assess the influence of branding on an organization’s IMC.
- Must be two to four double-spaced pages in length (excluding the title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least two scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outline.
A capital investment plan is a document that is typically prepared to obtain funding and/or financing. For your Final Project, which is due in Week Five, you will assume the role of a department manager who is seeking funding/financing for a capital investment, and you will create a capital investment plan to present to your chief financial officer and board. In the scenario you choose, you may be looking to expand in an existing department, or you may focus on a brand new capital investment for a new service line.
For this assignment, address the following points as they pertain to your selected capital investment:
- Executive Summary: State the purpose of the report and describe the major points of the report.
- Service and/or Equipment Description: This section should be at least one page.
- Establishing the Team: This section should be at least one page. Include a chart that illustrates the structure of the capital investment team. In addition, provide a summary of your team (background, responsibilities, etc.) as it pertains to your selected business.
Addressing these points will help you as you begin to develop your capital investment plan. Your paper should be two to three double-spaced pages in length, excluding the title and reference pages. Format your paper according to APA style.
Overview: For this second assignment, pick a health services organization of your choice and conduct an analysis of its target markets, how it is positioned in the marketplace, and what kind of behaviors its customers exhibit when selecting their services. This includes topics covered in Weeks 3 and 4. Your research can include your own experiences with the organization, experiences of friends or relatives, the organization’s website, a visit to the organization (if possible), websites of competitors, library research on the service category, any notes from the overview and readings for Weeks 3 and 4, and any other place you think you can find information to provide depth to your analysis.
After completing your research, prepare your Written Assignment 2 as directed by the general guidelines for written assignments in the syllabus, project descriptions, by answering each of the following questions in turn:
- Name and describe the health service organization.
- Describe its primary target market in terms of the segmentation variables presented in the Week 4 Overview. You can use the PRISM system or describe it yourself.
- What kind of behaviors do its patients/clients exhibit when making a decision to use the organization’s services? Might want to refer to the Health Service Model.
- What do you think is the organization’s value proposition? Use the generic value propositions outlined in the Week 4 Overview.
- Describe the organization’s primary competitors. If possible, prepare a positioning map using two variables important to the patients/clients of the organization.
- Based on your competitive analysis, what do you is the organization’s competitive position?
- What recommendations would you make for changes to the organization’s target market, services or competitive position and why?
Post a description of the research method you are considering, or are doing for your dissertation (quantitative, qualitative or mixed-methods). Offer a self-assessment regarding your proficiencies in research design, methodology, and data analysis. Explain how you might address any remaining questions you have regarding quantitative and qualitative analyses.
Choose ONE of the following topics for a persuasive email to a manager or coworker:
- Requesting a workplace modification or resource
- Advocating a change in direction on a project
- Requesting a promotion
- Recommending specific reductions in workplace waste or money-saving opportunities
- Requesting to hire a new worker
- Another topic as approved by your instructor
Write a 700- to 1,050-word persuasive email that includes a well-crafted subject line, salutation, and signature block. Use the ARGU method as detailed in Workplace Writing and be mindful of the need to maintain an appropriate balance of ethos, pathos, and logos.
ARGU – Definition
- • Arouse reader interest—grab the audience’s attention in the introduction of your communication.
- • Refute opposing points of view in the body of your communication.
- • Give proof to develop your thoughts in the body of your communication.
- • Urge action—motivate your audience in the conclusion.
- Format your assignment according to appropriate course-level APA guidelines.
There are several ways a company can allocate overhead costs to products produced or services provided. Two of these methods are absorption costing and variable costing. This assignment will allow you to explore the two methods of costing and compare/contrast the different uses of each costing system.
Using the module readings and the Argosy University online library resources, research absorption and variable costing. Use your research and/or your experiences as a working professional to complete this assignment.
Respond to the following:
- Explain the differences between absorption costing and variable costing.
- Explain, with the help of an example, how a company could use a variable costing system, as well as an absorption costing system. You have the option of using the company you work for as an example.
- Explain which method is better for the company being discussed.
The local correctional facility is planning to implement a new treatment program for substance abuse treatment. You are hired to create a proposal providing a recommendation for the types of treatment modalities to be utilized in the facility. Use your textbook, module notes, and at least two peer reviewed articles from the online library and/or publications from a government website on substance abuse treatment to develop the proposal. Your paper should address the following:
- A discussion of the variety of substance addictions needing to be addressed in the treatment program in a correctional system, and your analysis for whether you would propose separating the inmates in treatment based upon the type of substance they use.
- A thorough comparison of individual treatment and group treatment, and your analysis for whether you would recommend individual treatment or group treatment, or both.
- A description of the12 step program, and your analysis for whether you would propose this be a part of the treatment program.
- A discussion of the role of the family and incorporating the family within the treatment process, and your analysis of whether you would recommend family therapy to be a part of the treatment program.
The text of your proposal should be at least 4 pages long. Remember to include a cover page and reference page, and to support your arguments with information drawn from the online content, the textbook, and other credible, scholarly sources to substantiate the points you are making. Apply APA standards for writing and citations to your work.
Personality disorders are chronic and persistent behavioral and emotional disturbances that are often difficult to treat. Some professionals have argued that these disorders are not mental disorders at all, but personality styles—that these individuals are just odd or unusual. Review your textbook and a minimum of two peer-reviewed references and discuss the diagnostic and measurement challenges and issues related to personality disorders. What classification approach is currently used in the DSM? Explain this approach. Identify and discuss relevant research on the causation, diagnosis, and treatment of personality disorders.
Your assignment should be at least a 2–3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources and include a cover page and reference page. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M4_A2.doc.
What does evidence-based research say about the development of sexual orientation in young and middle adulthood? Though the body of literature addressing sexual orientation, including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality, is far from complete, the literature continues to grow. Your awareness of this literature helps inform your social work practice as you address the needs of clients with a variety of sexual orientations.
For this Assignment, conduct your own research to identify at least one journal article that addresses sexual orientation. Select an article that you find especially relevant to you in your role as a social worker.
Submit a 2- to 4-page paper that includes the following:
o A summary of your findings regarding sexual orientation and its impact on life-span development, including findings from the resources and from the journal article(s) you selected during your research
o An explanation of how you might apply your findings to social work practice
Support your Assignment with specific references to the resources. Be sure to provide full APA citations for your references.
The end result of this course is developing a strategy audit. In this module, you will outline and draft a preliminary framework for your final product. This provides you with the opportunity to get feedback before a final submission.
In Module 1, you reviewed the instructions for the capstone strategy audit assignment and grading rubric due in Module 5. By now, you have completed the following steps:
- Identified the organization for your report
- Interviewed at least one key mid-level or senior-level manager
- Created a market position analysis
- Conducted an external environmental scan in preparation of your final report and presentation
In this assignment, you will generate a preliminary strategy audit in preparation for your final course project.
Prepare a report that includes the following:
- In preparation for your course project, prepare the preliminary strategy audit using the tools and framework you have focused on so far including the following:
- Analysis of the company value proposition, market position, and competitive advantage
- External environmental scan/five forces analysis
- Identify the most important (5–7) strategic issues facing the organization or business unit.
- You may modify the strategic issues in your final report based on the additional analysis you will conduct in the next module as well as the feedback you receive on this paper from your instructor.
- Keep in mind that it is important to look at the strategic issue(s) from more than just one perspective in the business unit or company—speak to or research the issue from more than one angle to offer a 360-degree approach that does not cause more problems or issues.
- Strategic issues arise from a mismatch between internal capabilities and external trends such that important opportunities are not being pursued or significant external threats are not being addressed under the current strategy.
- Include a preliminary set of recommended tactics for improving your company’s strategic alignment and operating performance.
- You may modify these recommendations in your final report based on the additional analysis you will conduct in the next module as well as the feedback you receive on this paper from your instructor.
- Keep in mind that recommendations can include, but are not limited to, tactics in marketing, branding, alliances, mergers and acquisitions, integration, product development, diversification or divestiture, and globalization. If you recommend your company to go global, you must include a supply chain analysis and an analysis of your firm’s global capabilities.
Write your report as though you are a consultant to your company and are addressing the executive officers of this company.
Write a 7–10-page report in Word format. Make sure your writing is clear, concise, and in an organized manner; demonstrates ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and displays accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Use the following format for your report:
- Cover page
- Executive summary/abstract
- Table of contents
- Introduction to company (each subsection should be an assessment)
- Value proposition
- Market position
- Competitive advantage
- External environmental scan/five forces analysis
- Current environment
- Assessment of external factors applying five forces
- Strategic issues (label each issue and provide a header and the reason for why it is an issue)
- Summary/key findings and recommendations
Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M3_A2.doc.
Before starting the case, make sure to go through the required reading material carefully. Review the concepts of exchange rates, currency hedging, and other methods of dealing with exchange rate risk. The topic of this module is difficult, so make sure you go carefully through all of the required tutorials and book chapters.
When you have finished reviewing the background materials, apply your knowledge of the material to answer the following questions in a 4- to 5-page paper:
- Suppose you are a consultant who travels the world to make predictions about exchange rates for your clients. You have been hired to go to a foreign country to make a prediction about whether the value of the currency in this country will go up or down. When you arrive in this country, the first thing you notice is that everything is very expensive compared to what you are used to in the United States. Some items such as soft drinks or bottled water cost twice as much as what you pay at home. You also find that the economy in this country is starting to shrink a bit, and several foreign-owned businesses are moving out of the country. Would you tell your client that you expect the value of the currency in this country will increase or decrease? Explain your reasoning, and make references to Agarwal (2009) in your answer.
- Suppose a small manufacturing business purchases 90% of its raw materials and supplies from Japan. It is a very specialized business and has no place other than Japan to purchase its materials. Thus, if the value of the Japanese currency goes up compared to the dollar, profit margins will go down since it will cost the company more to purchase its supplies. What methods do you think would be best to manage this risk under these circumstances? Refer to at least one of the required readings from the background materials in your answer.
- Consider a large multinational consumer product company with operations in all major advanced and emerging economies. Now suppose the value of the Indian and Brazilian currencies drops dramatically and the value of the Mexican peso increases dramatically. What kind of strategic changes in marketing and/or location of production facilities do you think this company should take given these new exchange rates? Explain your reasoning, and make references to Avadhani (2010) and Shackman (2015) in your answer.
- Answer the assignment questions directly.
- Stay focused on the precise assignment questions. Don’t go off on tangents or devote a lot of space to summarizing general background materials.
- Make sure to use reliable and credible sources as your references. Articles published in established newspapers or business journals/magazines are preferred. If you find articles on the internet, make sure they are from credible sources.